Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora™ is a first person, action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment – a Ubisoft studio in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney. Built using the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine, and developed exclusively for the new generation of consoles and PC, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings to life the alluring world of Pandora with all of its beauty and danger in an immersive, open world experience.
As a Lead at Massive, you would contribute to the development of a highly skilled and ambitious VFX team working on James Cameron’s world of Avatar, creating astonishing visual effects aligned with the game’s artistic vision and utilizing the technical possibilities of our Snowdrop engine. You’ll also collaborate with other Leads, Producers, and multidisciplinary developers across our AAA production, and help shape the future direction of the VFX team. As part of the Avatar Project, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden, with the opportunity to work partially from home according to our Flexible Workplace Policy. Please apply in English (our company language), and we’ll check your application asap!
What you’ll do
- Supervising the development of high-quality AAA visual effects
- Creating and maintaining a prospering art culture within the team
- Ensuring a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners
- Collaborate with Production to prioritize and coordinate the teams tasks to ensure that deliverables are completed on time
- Collaborating with other Leads, Directors, and cross-functional teams to advance project quality
- Providing constructive feedback, mentoring, and coaching a team of VFX Artists
What you’ll bring
You are a motivated and team-oriented Lead, dedicated to the craft of VFX. You find the team’s achievements to be motivating and are able to supervise a team of like-minded people providing feedback and support whenever needed. As an Artist, you share our enthusiasm for film and the games industry and are motivated by the chance to bring things to a higher level. Your experience within large productions and from leading a team allows you to solve problems on the job and organize an effective workflow. You have excellent communication skills in English (our company language) which with your proactive approach enables you to build trust with your team and the various stakeholders you’ll collaborate with along the way.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- Several years of experience of visual effects and technical art for games on console and PC (ideally with at least one AAA title shipped)
- Experience as a mentor/lead/manager or equivalent
- Knowledge of particle systems, shaders and procedural animation
- Understanding of node-based tools/engines and/or programming/scripting
- Experience with VFX editors and real-time particle systems
- Working knowledge of Maya, 3DSMAX and/or other commercial 3D authoring packages
- Experience with Houdini is a bonus
- Experience as an animator, modeler and/or texture artist is a bonus
- Additional experience from the movie industry or similar is considered a benefit
- Experience with outsourcing and co-development is a bonus