Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora™ is a first-person, action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment – a Ubisoft studio in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney. Built using the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine, and developed exclusively for the new generation of consoles and PC, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings to life the alluring world of Pandora with all of its beauty and danger in an immersive, open-world experience.
- Do you find yourself thinking about how a game mechanic works in the game you were just playing?
- Can you break down how game systems interact to offer a captivating experience?
Then we have a great opportunity for you!
As a Lead Game Designer at Massive you'll be challenged with mentoring, managing, and guiding a team of designers to ensure our game is fun! You'll lead a Player, Weapons, and Tools game design team, focusing on the player’s moment-to-moment experience (their weapons, tools, abilities, and the 3C's: Control, Character, and Camera).
You'll be supported by a Production team (Producers & Coordinators), and primarily collaborate with fellow Leads, and a cross-discipline task force (consisting of designers, coders, animators & artists), all focused on the player experience.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö Sweden and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job ad is posted.
- Participating in the development of our project's design vision, specific to Game Design, and together with our core Directors and additional Design Leads;
- Translating the game's creative vision into tangible designs and game experiences together with your team;
- Coaching, managing, and mentoring a team of Game Designers;
- Reviewing the team’s efforts to ensure we meet our quality targets;
- Collaborating with our production staff to scope and plan your team's goals, prioritizing features;
- Communicating the project objectives, strategies, and general info to all team members, giving visibility to dev advancements;
- Working closely with stakeholders in other gameplay and content departments to conceive and design environments that are in line with the lore, but are also innovative and fun to play;
- Collaborating with the engineering team to develop and enhance tools and processes used to build our game.
You have a passion for Game Design, how a game "feels", and the player's experience, but you also take pride in enabling and developing the Designers around you, coaching your team to deliver the highest possible quality. You have previous experience driving a team through a AAA game release (or a similar-sized production) and are a great people manager.
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- You have shipped at least 1 game project in a Lead role, ideally a major AAA Open World title;
- Proven professional experience as a game designer through several development cycles;
- Comfortable implementing designs in engine and writing game design documents;
- Familiar with game engines such as Unreal 4, Snowdrop, Unity, and visual scripting;
- Able to break down and explain the design process to both expert game designers and cross-functional stakeholders.