We’re collaborating with Disney and Lucasfilm Games on a new story-driven open-world video game set in the beloved Star Wars galaxy. This is a lore we love and want to do justice with a game and story that bring both new and lifelong fans on an immersive and outstanding journey that will stay with them for years.
As a Cinematic Narrative Designer you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing the project to life. You'll have one foot in narrative and the other in design, bridging the gap between systems, UX, and will ultimately be responsible for the player’s interaction with our story. Working with a diverse Narrative team and in collaboration with multidisciplinary game designers you’ll be responsible for the holistic design of narrative systems, pipelines for content, and the practical implementation of our story.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden, and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager/cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Designing, writing and implementing narrative gameplay content;
- Collaborating with the Directors, Lead Writer, your Narrative colleagues, and both Game & Level Designers to develop innovative quests that flow with the overall game;
- Crafting narrative structure, creating and maintaining scripts/scenes for controlling various game elements;
- Identifying blockers to your design ideas and communicating with the appropriate teams to see if they're possible to implement (New Gameplay, AI, Cameras, Audio, Text, Objectives etc.);
- Constantly evaluating the accessibility, ease of understanding, and level of difficulty for your designs;
- Participating in the development of tools and technology to improve the narrative workflow;
- Mentoring junior narrative designers;
You’re a combination of storyteller and designer but you're also technically competent with implementation and ideally, visual scripting. You've shipped one or more major/AAA Game projects and you managed to overcome all the challenges that came with this, ready to utilize your new-found knowledge and apply it to our unique challenge. As a Senior you're also fond of helping mentor your more junior colleagues. You have a passion for interactive storytelling and an excellent understanding of the English language (our company language).
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned with our core values and the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work/content is required (ideally a showreel);
- Several years of Narrative/Quest Design experience from within the video game industry;
(Ideally, you have more than 5-years' experience)
- Previous experience with multiple AAA productions from concept through release;
(Ideally you have credits on at least 2 major titles)
- Experience with linear & non-linear narrative structures;
- Understanding of the technical constraints regarding narrative design implementation, on current-gen consoles, PC, and therefore, the ability to accurately predict task duration and understand dependencies;
- Ideally, you have experience with multiple Game Engines (i.e. Snowdrop, Unity or Unreal) and scripting language systems.